Car accidents are an everyday occurrence, yet most people don’t know what steps to take in the aftermath of a collision to ensure that they are able to receive fair compensation if the accident is caused by the negligence of another driver.
If you were injured in a car accident that you believe was the result of another driver’s carelessness, one of the most important things you can do is to contact the Oceanside car accident lawyers at The Rubinstein Law Group. Our experienced injury attorneys may be able to help you recover the financial security you need to cope with medical expenses, lost wages and other damages.
In addition to contacting a lawyer, car accident victims are advised to take the following steps following a collision:
- Assess yourself and passengers for potential injuries
- Call police or 911 and advise whether emergency medical responders are necessary
- Speak with police, answering their questions honestly but without admitting fault
- Gather the names, vehicle information and contact information for other drivers involved in the accident
- Gather the names and contact information for any witnesses
- Take pictures or video of the accident scene, resulting property damage and injuries
- Document the conditions in which the accident occurred
While you may provide information to your insurance provider after an accident, it is recommended to speak with an attorney first. You should not admit fault for the accident to insurance companies.
It is also important to note that even if you do not have obvious signs of injury, it’s a good idea to receive a medical evaluation after a car accident. The symptoms of some injuries are not immediately evident. For more information, please see our Questions about Car Accidents page.
If you were hurt or a loved one was killed in a car accident caused by a negligent driver, please contact The Rubinstein Law Group for your free case consultation. We welcome clients from the Oceanside, Escondido, and San Marcos areas.