AAA Travel predicts that nearly 47 million people will travel 50 miles or more from home this Thanksgiving holiday, the most since 2007. If you are among the millions of holiday drivers this year, car accident attorney Zev Rubinstein has a few tips for safely navigating the roads of San Marcos and Oceanside.
Several factors are causing the expected record-busting travel season this year, such as higher disposable incomes and low gas prices. With so many people behind the wheel, car, truck and motorcycle drivers need to be extremely cautious this Thanksgiving season. Here are a few tips for safe travel:
- Be ready for anything. In addition to planning out your route, make a plan for unexpected events. Pack a roadside preparedness kit in case of an accident, break down or medical emergency.
- Inspect your vehicle. Check your fluid levels, tires and battery. Fill up with gas before leaving. A little diligence before leaving can help prevent break downs later.
- Don’t weigh yourself down. Pack safely and don’t exceed your vehicle’s weight limits. Heavy vehicles put more strain on tires and make it more difficult to stop effectively.
- Get an early start. Try to avoid night driving whenever possible. It’s more difficult to see the road and other drivers when it’s dark out. Head out after dawn and find a place to spend the night when the sun starts going down.
- Stay focused on the road. Driving while drinking or texting are the leading causes of accidents in the U.S. For the safety of your passengers and everyone else on the road, avoid distractions.
Our car accident attorney wishes everyone in San Marcos and Oceanside a happy and safe Thanksgiving. If you or someone you love has been injured in an accident, contact the Rubinstein Law Group today online or at (855) 365-9955 to schedule a complimentary case evaluation. We welcome clients from Escondido, San Diego and Carlsbad, California.