Peddling your way through Southern California is a healthy and fun activity, but a dangerous driver can change your life in an instant. If you’ve been injured in an Oceanside, Escondido or Carlsbad bicycle accident due to the negligence of a careless driver, experienced lawyer Zev Rubinstein may be able to help you obtain the justice and compensation you deserve.
Bicyclists are particularly vulnerable when on the road. Injuries sustained in bicycle accidents are usually much more severe for riders than for the drivers of car and truck drivers. Here are five tips to help increase your chances for enjoying a safe, injury-free ride.
- Observe traffic laws. Not only is this mandatory, it can keep you safe. It also helps your case when you can demonstrate that you were fully obeying traffic laws and the accident was a result of the driver failing to do so.
- Be conspicuous. This means that you should wear bright and colorful clothing during the day, and wear reflective clothing during the night. Once the sun goes down, you should also activate front and back lights to alert other drivers of your presence.
- Pay attention to your surroundings. You do not have a legal duty to predict the inattentive and illegal maneuvers of others on the road. However, having a focused awareness of your surroundings can help reduce the risk of getting involved in certain dangerous situations.
- Stay sober. Impaired driving isn’t just a risk for auto drivers. Most fatal collisions involve alcohol. You can’t control the sobriety of others on the road, but you can control your own alcohol intake.
- Wear a helmet. Your chances of suffering a catastrophic head or brain injury are greatly reduced if you simply wear a helmet. Recent studies show that nearly 700 people die every year from head injuries, and helmets could have prevented anywhere from 70 to 80 percent of those deaths.
If you live in Carlsbad and need an experienced bicycle accident lawyer to help you pursue full and fair compensation, contact the Rubinstein Law Group online or at (855) 365-9955 to schedule a consultation. We welcome clients from Oceanside, Vista, San Marcos and Escondido.